Thursday, August 2, 2012

One Deep Breath at a Time

I've been trying so hard in the last couple of years to ease into the belief that whatever will be will be. Honestly, it's completely true and while I can maintain some control over what happens in my house with my family, I have very little influence (if any at all) about what happens in the world around me. I like the cozy, safe little bubble that Roman and I have created for our family. We live in a small town surrounded by family and amazing friends. But outside of these four walls our world could change drastically over the next few years. Not in the things that matter most in life, but in our physical space in this small town.

This is the view from the front of our house:

And this is the view from the back door:

Why does any of this matter? Because both of these spaces are owned by Hobby Lobby, who on September 21, 2012 will be announcing the new owners. I have no political or religious opinion that I am willing to share on either of the two candidates. I think there are pros and cons to each. While I would love to see new jobs created and our tax base improved along with the potential for new businesses, I don't particularly want to see my neighborhood turned upside down with large buildings and parking lots surrounding us. I feel like we'll be living in the book "The Little House". I completely understand that someone always has to pay the price for change. I'm just sad that we happen to live in the 1 square mile that will be most affected. It's making me very nervous and has caused more than one sleepless night. Are we going to have to move? Will there be beer cans on my lawn every morning? Will the traffic make it hard to get the kids to school on time?

So while we're having this amazing summer, I am often plagued by the fear of what is to come. What will we do if? Where will we go if? I'm trying really hard to allow myself to take one deep breath at a time and let it go. It is not up to me. We will deal with whatever comes along when it is time. But as a person who needs to feel in control for sanity's sake, it's terribly hard to not be able to be proactive and know all the answers when I want them. Best case scenario is that I'm way over reacting and Northfield will be enhanced without being lost in the change. I guess I'll find out along with everyone else in September.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know Hobby Lobby was trying to come north!? Why would they want to build a store in a residential neighborhood? That would be weird. Hope things work out in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Close to what you say. . "What will be will be." I take the stance, "don't worry till there is something to worry about." Good Luck! In the big picture, our town does really need something to happen over there.

    ReplyDelete