Sunday, September 9, 2012

What I learned In The First Two Days

Kindergarten in only two days old, but I learned a few quick lessons in that short period of time.
  1. Kids must be told to throw things away. I assumed (I know.. my own fault) that Braeden would eat his lunch, gather his trash and throw it away. However, what I learned quickly is that EVERYTHING goes back into the lunchbox unless I direct him otherwise. On Friday he came home with a half eaten container of applesauce mixed with some crackers sloshing around inside his lunchbox. Yuck! 
  2. It is important to also pack a napkin. I'm not sure what I was thinking on that one. It seems obvious but for some reason I never thought about it. The poor kid spilled some applesauce on himself and didn't have a way to clean it up. I'm quite sure he could have gotten one in the cafeteria but it was only his second day and he didn't know he could ask. Bad mommy moment there. 
  3. Braeden is far more independent that I give him credit for. This is a good lesson! He has impressed me with his willingness to go to school, interact with kids he's never met and try new things. I know some kids come by this naturally, but I assure you Braeden did not. He's grown up so much in the last couple of years. It has been a joy to watch.
It's definitely a new adventure, but if spilled applesauce is the worst problem we have, then I guess we'll be just fine. 

1 comment:

  1. The napkin thing threw me too, I guess I just expected them to be on the tables, but quickly learned the day I joined Olivia for lunch that wasn't the case - I still don't pack them, but I have told Olivia to ask for one!

    ReplyDelete